Monday, March 8, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Precious Lord, take my hand
lead me on, let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand, Precious Lord, lead me home.

I just sung my beautiful baby angel to sleep. Precious Lord, take my hand. It may seem like an odd way to sing a baby to sleep. But it's how my mom sang us to sleep.

Abby is growing to look more and more like Bella. But they fall asleep so differently. Abby goes to sleep very suddenly. One moment she is all wiggling arms and legs, turning her head side to side, sucking on her pacifier as if it holds her last drop of sustenance....the next she is suddenly still...she turns her head to the side and takes a deep breath, her passy falling out of her half-open mouth, and then....sleep. You can almost feel it, that magic little moment when her dreams begin.

Bella is another story altogether! Once she has finally decided to surrender and stay in the bed, she lays on her back and plays with her fingers, or her glow-worm, or whatever toy she drug to bed with her. After a while she will lay it down, and yawn, and toss and turn a little. Then she'll lay very still for several minutes, just letting her eyes wander. Finally, they will close, but she's not there yet. For some reason, just before she falls asleep, she smacks her little lips. (they are shaped exactly like her daddys!) When I hear that sound, I know sleep is very near!

I always feel relief when they are both asleep...I think: "I can get things done!" I do dishes, I pack diaper bags, I tidy up the house. Maybe what I should be doing is watching them as they sleep, listening to each precious breath, remembering what a miracle they are. Thanking God that they are fearfully and wonderfully made.

After all, why should the angels have all the fun?

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. Psalms 91:11

No comments:

Post a Comment